The Provision of Goods and Services to Persons with Disabilities
Carleton Recreation and Athletics will make every reasonable effort to ensure that its policies, practices and procedures are consistent with the principles of dignity, independence, integration and equal opportunity by:
- Ensuring that all Patrons receive the same value and quality;
- Allowing Patrons with disabilities to do things in their own ways, at their own pace when accessing goods and services as long as this does not present a safety risk;
- Customers with disabilities are allowed to fully benefit from the same services, in the same place, and in the same or similar way as other customers. Alternative measures, rather than integration, might be necessary because a person with a disability requires it or because another option cannot be provided at the same time. If we are unable to remove a barrier to accessibility, we will consider what else can be done to provide services to people with disabilities Using alternative methods when possible to ensure that Patrons with disabilities have access to the same services, in the same place and in a similar manner;
- Taking into account individual needs when providing goods and services; and
- Communicating in a manner that takes into account the Patrons disability.
Persons with disabilities may use their own assistive devices as required when accessing goods or services provided by Carleton Recreation and Athletics. The provision, use and safety of personal assistive devices are the responsibility of the person with a disability.
In cases where the assistive device presents a safety concern or where accessibility might be an issue, other reasonable measures will be used to ensure that Patrons are able to access our services.
Notice of Temporary Disruption
The Department of Recreation and Athletics will endeavor to provide customers (i.e. internal and external stakeholders, members of the public, with notice in the event of a planned or unexpected disruption in the facilities. This notice will include information about the reason for the disruption, how long the disruption is expected to last, and a description of alternative facilities or services available (if any).
The Department will endeavor to use the Internet sites to provide notice of temporary service disruptions when required as well as post notices on all public entrances to our premises.