Visit the Carleton University Fitness Centre to maximize your performance, or get back into your healthy lifestyle! Open to students, staff, and the public, our Fitness Centre offers cardio machines, resistance training and free weights, all under the supervision of our highly qualified staff.
Interested in our classes? Click here.
Looking for personal training? Click here.
Note: The Fitness Centre is very busy weekdays from noon until closing. Click the image below to view Google’s live Popular times feature.
To access the Fitness Centre please bring your student/membership ID.
For hours of operation and our holiday schedule please check here.
- For your health and safety, we ask that you wear appropriate exercise clothing as well as proper athletic footwear.
Rules and Regulations of the Fitness Centre:
- Proper identification is required to use this facility. (i.e. Membership Card, Student Card, or Day-pass Stamp)
- Must be 14 years of age or older to use the Fitness Centre.
- Proper gym attire must be worn.
- No filming, photography or phone calls on the Fitness Centre floor.
- Gym bags and personal items are not allowed in the Fitness Centre. Small drawstring bags for personal equipment are permitted.
- If you are unfamiliar with an exercise machine, please ask the Fitness Centre Attendants for assistance.
- If you need a spot, please ask a Fitness Centre Attendants or other member to assist you.
- Do not drop weights.
- Return all dumbbells, barbells, and plates to their proper racks after using them.
- You must use clamps or collars on the barbells at all times.
- Do not sit on exercise equipment between your sets. Please allow other members to use the equipment while you are resting.
- 30 minutes max on each machine.
- All equipment must be wiped down/cleaned after use.
- Always be aware of your surroundings to avoid accidents.
- Inappropriate behaviour or abuse of equipment, other members, or staff will not be tolerated.
Fitness Centre Considerations and What to do’s:
- What to do if you would like to use the same piece of equipment as another patron:
- Ask if it is possible for you to “work in” with them. Share the equipment. Cooperate by setting the machine back to where the other patron had it, and help unload and load weights.
- What to do if another patron starts using your machine while you are resting:
- Respectfully explain to the other patron how many sets you have left and that they may work in with you if they please.
- What to do if you are using a machine and other patrons are waiting to use it:
- Acknowledge that other patrons are waiting to use the machine and allow them to share the machine or equipment with you. Avoid resting on exercise equipment between your sets.
- When you are finished with your machines or equipment you should:
- Wipe down equipment and machines with the spray bottle and towel provided. Ensure that you are removing all weights. Ensure you are returning all pieces of equipment you have borrowed after the completion of your workout. Return the weights to the appropriate place. Remember when loading and unloading plates ensure the bar is equal on both sides at all times.
Things to avoid in the Fitness Centre:
- Leaving plates on bars. Please ensure that you are removing all weights from bars and returning them to the proper holding rack. Remember, when loading and unloading plates ensure the bar is equal on both sides at all times.
- Leaving dumbbells on the floor. Please ensure that you are putting all free weights back to their correct place on the rack. They are all labelled for that specific reason.
- Making excessive noise. Remember you are not alone in the Fitness Centre.
- Dropping Weights. Workout with control and proper technique.
- Wearing inappropriate gym attire. Please adhere to rules of appropriate apparel in the Fitness Centre.
- Wearing strong scented perfumes, deodorants, or colognes in the Fitness Centre. Other patrons might be sensitive to strong smells.
- Filming, personal phone calls, or pictures (Including Snapchat or Instagram) allowed in the Fitness Centre.
Things to consider in the Fitness Centre:
- Inform staff of broken equipment and disputes.
- Ask questions about equipment and machines if unsure about how to use it.
- Bring any grievances about other patrons to the attention of the staff and allow them to handle difficult situations.
- Wipe down all equipment after it is used.
- Be respectful to staff and other patrons.
- Be considerate and friendly towards new patrons.
- When loading and unloading plates ensure the bar is equal on both sides at all times.
- Share machines and other equipment, particularly during busy times.